Hello to you, my followers of the podcast blog. Podblogowers? Anyway, there is a lot of ground to cover so I will just hit this bullet-point style. WARNING: There is a single use of profanity buried somewhere in this post.
Podcast – I am working on it. God as my witness, I am working on it.
Boston Comic Con – Having not attended this particular con before I wasn’t sure what to expect outside of the usual con experience. There were tons of people and with the 90+ degree heat and humidity the convention center’s AC system struggled to keep up and thus I spent two days wading in an almost literal stew of humanity. It was fun though and for those who might be interested in attending this particular event in the future I have come up with the following Tips for Attending Boston Comic Con (TFABCC):
- Define a total amount of money you would like to spend. Triple that number then add additional contingency funds. This will not be enough.
- BYOPT (Bring Your own Poster Tube)
- That person over there that you are absolutely positive is someone you know? It isn’t, you don’t, and no you shouldn’t.
- Just hold it.
- The VIP pass is worth it if only for the 30 minutes to grab stuff before it sells out.
- Things will sell out.
- All the things that you bought first thing in the morning? You will be carrying that stuff ALL DAY.
- The box of stuff that you bought first thing in the morning that you have been carrying all day? You’re going to put it down while you are trying to pay for something else and walk away without it.
- Spring for the gel inserts, you feet, legs, and back will thank you.
- All the artwork you are bringing home with you that you didn’t have a tube for? Yeah, it’s gonna rain.
There wasn’t as much cosplay as I expected but that may also have been because of the aforementioned heat. It can (and probably should) go without saying that the most popular character there was Harley Quin. So, so much Harley Quinn. There was a Harley Quinn of every shape, size and level of smeared mascara. I’m sure this is due in no small part to my next bullet point.
Suicide Squad – I’m not going to disparage anyone who liked this movie because I know in my heart that they’re wrong. This movie was a mess. I was bored throughout most of it. I don’t know if I would go so far as to say the acting was terrible, but it was just a disjointed snooze-fest. I didn’t really care about any of the characters. Don’t get me started on the Joker or the lovey-dovey relationship with HQ. Feel free to disagree with me on this one, but search your feelings and learn to forgive yourself for being so misguided.
Titanfall 2 Alpha Tech Demo Weekend – I played a lot of the first Titanfall and enjoyed it tremendously. I still go back to it now and again. It is the opinion of this underground dwelling mammal that Titanfall 2 provides the same amount of hectic, fun pick-up-and-play that the original did, with the added benefit of grappling hooks. This past weekend’s free play had two maps, two Titans, three play types and a level cap of 10 and while one of the maps felt a little small and constrained, it was still a hell of a lot of fun to play. Havok Games seems open to player suggestions. On Saturday they released a game patch that decreased the time it takes to earn a titan during a match explaining that they felt it just took too long. This tells me that they are open to gameplay tweeks before the full release. They are having another tech demo this weekend and I fully intend to play the fuck out of it.
That wraps it up for this week’s post. If you are wondering where last week’s post is, check under the couch, it’s almost always under the couch.
Until next time…
Fellow Marmotinians, Marmites, Marminians, I will be attending Boston Comic Con in Boston, MA on August 12th-13th. If you’ve ever been curious what the world’s longest non-podcasting podcaster looks like in real life, your chance has arrived. If you see me, say hey, say hello, say you’ll buy me a round. I’m easy.
Of course if you don’t have any interest, well that’s fine too I guess. You’d just be missing out. I can live with that if you can. Seems like it would be a shame though…