You know, time flies when you are having fun. Time also seems to fly when you are just working your 9-5, not having fun and losing some of that head o’ steam you had six months ago.
But that is another post for another time, or another clinical session, depending on the co-pay. The real reason for the post is to announce that once again, Mr. Marmot, The Bone of Ham and Stu, yours truly, will be attending PAX East in Boston in 2017.
PAX East is a ginormous (yup, real word) 3-day gaming exposition put on by those crafty little so-and-so’s at Penny Arcade. Last year proved to be as large an affair as ever with live-streamed e-sport competitions, indie game studios, major game studios, a retro arcade, tabletop gaming, vendors, music, cosplay, it can actually get a little overwhelming.
Last year I was able to meet up with my favorite Twitch streamer Falloutgurl4, playtest Thornwatch, and was introduced to the magic that is Dragoon. Am I name dropping? You’re damn right I’m dropping names. Droppin’ them like they’re hot. Because they are.
So tell me, dear readers, are you venturing out the PAX this year? Share your stories. Embrace the story. BE. THE. STORY.
(P.S.-I’ve been chewing on Titanfall2 for a couple of days, a review will be following soon…)
- Define a total amount of money you would like to spend. Triple that number then add additional contingency funds. This will not be enough.
- BYOPT (Bring Your own Poster Tube)
- That person over there that you are absolutely positive is someone you know? It isn’t, you don’t, and no you shouldn’t.
- Just hold it.
- The VIP pass is worth it if only for the 30 minutes to grab stuff before it sells out.
- Things will sell out.
- All the things that you bought first thing in the morning? You will be carrying that stuff ALL DAY.
- The box of stuff that you bought first thing in the morning that you have been carrying all day? You’re going to put it down while you are trying to pay for something else and walk away without it.
- Spring for the gel inserts, you feet, legs, and back will thank you.
- All the artwork you are bringing home with you that you didn’t have a tube for? Yeah, it’s gonna rain.
There wasn’t as much cosplay as I expected but that may also have been because of the aforementioned heat. It can (and probably should) go without saying that the most popular character there was Harley Quin. So, so much Harley Quinn. There was a Harley Quinn of every shape, size and level of smeared mascara. I’m sure this is due in no small part to my next bullet point.
Suicide Squad – I’m not going to disparage anyone who liked this movie because I know in my heart that they’re wrong. This movie was a mess. I was bored throughout most of it. I don’t know if I would go so far as to say the acting was terrible, but it was just a disjointed snooze-fest. I didn’t really care about any of the characters. Don’t get me started on the Joker or the lovey-dovey relationship with HQ. Feel free to disagree with me on this one, but search your feelings and learn to forgive yourself for being so misguided.